- Joining Diamonds.
- Place the 60 degree ruler marking along the bottom edge of the strip and cut.
- Measure 3 1/2″ from the first cut and make a cut.
- Continue until there are three diamonds. Repeat for the other two fabric strips. Remember to check that the angle is still 60 degrees by placing the 60 degree ruler line along the bottom edge before cutting.
- Arrange the diamonds in three rows.
- Sew the rows vertically. From top to bottom. To sew a diamond to another diamond, overlap each end by 1/4″. Press open seam. Remove ‘Bunny ears’ (or the overlapping 1/4″ pieces).
- To make the contrasting strips, sew 2 charm squares (5″ x 5″) together. Press open seam. Cut 2 strips 1.5″ wide.
- Sew the contrasting strips to row 1 and row 2, aligning the strip with the top of each row as per the image below.
- The block will look quite uneven.
- Fold the block into 4 and press. This will be to determine a midpoint so that an 8 1/2″ block can be cut from this pieced block.
- Place a 12″ square rule over the pieced block and position the ruler so the horizontal fold is aligned with the 4 1/4″ marking on the ruler and the vertical line is aligned with the 4 3/4″ marking on the ruler. Cut an 8 1/2″ square.
Let’s Play ….
|Horizontal Layout with rotation and colour replacement.|
|Horizontal Layout and Rotation|
|On Point with Rotation|
|Block with 30 degree tilt|
|On Point – 30 degree tilted block|
I hope you enjoyed this weeks block. Next week I will be putting up my Umbrella ready for the summer storms.