- 4 – 5 1/4″ squares for background
- 10″ square for curved appliqué
- 3″ square for fussy cut centre circle
- Light fusible webbing ( Heat n Bond Lite )
- Templates found here
- Place 2 – 5 1/4″ squares right side together. Draw a diagonal line.
- Sew 1/4″ either side of the line
- Cut on line. Yields 2 blocks
- Press open seams
- Trim blocks to 4 1/2″ square
- Arrange 4 HST ( Half Square Triangles ) into a pinwheel block
- Sew blocks in pairs and then join the rows
- The background block will be 8 1/2″ square
- Trace Piece A onto dull side of fusible webbing.
- Cut around the trace line leaving 1/8″all around
- Cut out inside of Piece A approximately 1/4″ wide
|This leaves enough fusible webbing to attach appliqué and prevent fraying
without making the block too stiff and heavy
- Using your favourite appliqué stitch, sew appliqué to background block.
|On Point Layout|
|On Point with solid alternate blocks|
|On Point with solid replacing the patterned fabric|
I hope you enjoyed this festive block. Next week I will be bringing you the third instalment in the DHWQ blocks festive series.