Born in ’64

I am a bit of a sentimentalist and cherish everything that is given to me. This year I turn 50 (half a century, 29 years old with 21 more years of experience, The Golden Age ), and was wondering if I could ask quilters around the world to make a block for me so I can make it into a birthday quilt. It would mean so much to me to have you as part of the story of the quilt. I love scanning social media and blogs to see all the wonderful things you make and how happy it makes you feel when you sew.
The block is a very simple 9 – patch signature block.
Unfinished Size 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″
Requirements
  • White / Ivory /very light Cream solid for cross
  • Solid for corner pieces
The best solids to use are those that do not run when washed. Please do not use hand dyed fabrics or fabrics that have not been washed and set. If unsure, place in warm water with a dye catcher.

• Black Pigma Pen / Black Pental Gel Fabric Pen ( use a pen suitable for fabric only that are acid free. Read instructions for setting pen ink. The Sharpies permanent pens are not recommended for fabric.)

Cutting

From the solid fabric cut:
  • 4 – 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ squares

From the white fabric cut:
  • 2 – 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ squares
  • 1 – 2 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ rectangle

Assembly
Using the fabric pen, sign your name and addy (what you are known as on social media) and/or write a word or phrase that sums up how quilting makes you feel.
When you are finished, post to:
Jane Davidson
PO Box 77
Albany Creek QLD 4035
Australia
I am looking forward to all your blocks.

Possible settings could be floating on a white background or nested amongst a silvery grey background.

Comments

1. says

oh wahoo Jane, I would love to make you a birthday block!! I never pre-wash – but for this block – pre-wash a solid FQ, would that be a good plan? What a lovely idea! Catherine xx

2. says

Hi Jane and Happy Birthday! Lovely idea and I'm happy to join. My only worry is the pen. I haven't used any because I'm worried how they react in use. But I'll find out which Works well. What you think if the name would be stitched? Both of your designs look great but I think I love even more the one with grey background as it shows them like 'plus'. Have a lovely weekend! x Teje

3. says

Are you aware how many people out there love you and will want to participate (I stand at the head of the line)? You are going to have to make several quilts! I can't wait to send my block along!

4. says

Jane I would love to contribute to your quilt for all the support you have given me in the past. (The Balancing Kiwi) It is my husband's birthday today actually and he too was born in 64.

5. says

My daughter was born in January 1964. I have never made a block before to send to anybody, so this would be my first. Please allow time for posting from England. Happy Birthday for when your special day arrives :)

6. says

Happy B-day Jane! I just finished making mine…happy to do so. I added my country of origin. I will get it mailed asap. If you cut the blocks as directed, your block will end up 6 1/4 x 6 1/4. This is such a great idea.

7. says

I'd love to send you a block – I'm turning 50 in a few weeks time too! My machine is in for repairs so it will be a couple of weeks before it makes it from stash to stitch to airmail ( I'm in the UK) hope this will not be too late x

8. says

Hi Jane!!! Happy birthday! I'm 51 years old, so we are the same generation. I'm writing to you from Venezuela, and I'd like to send my block to you, but I don't know if you can wait 'till my block arrive to your hands. I hope to have enough time. Kisses!!!!