Fons and Porter have published an e-book, “Build your Best Log Cabin”. The book focuses on three of the most popular Log Cabin Styles – Traditional, Courthouse Steps and Chevron.
The book boasts 24 pages of:
- examples of antique log cabin quilts
- comprehensive instructions and illustrations / photos
- measurement charts showing the centre square, strip width and strip lengths for each size block
- Handy tips and techniques for preparing, organising and sewing a log cabin block
- Extra tutorials on making piped bindings and finishing off a binding the ‘Bumpless’ way
- Suggested Quilting patterns
- Alternate layouts for log cabin quilts.
In addition to the basics of making a log cabin block, four designers have created patterns to share using traditional blocks.
|Bears in Bertie’s Log Cabin – Ricky Tims|
|The Dark Side – Lori Christianson|
|Linked Chevrons – Marti Michell|
|Woven Log Cabin – Shon McMain|
I recommend this e-publication for any quilter that would like to explore the fun patterns and techniques of the traditional log cabin. Download your free copy of the e-book here.
Have you ever made a log cabin quilt? Here is one I made years ago for Grandfather’s 75th birthday.